Saturday, March 21, 2015

The Glass Incident


There are times when brothers feel the need to wrestle and push each other around just for the fun of it.  It could be caused from boredom or excess energy.  Whatever the reason for it, my brothers and I were wrestling and scuffling in the house one day when we got a little too carried away and the youngest brother, Bub, hit the glass in the front door with such a force that the glass broke out and scattered in numerous pieces.

Immediately, all activity ceased.  The harsh reality of our situation came over us like a blast of cold air.  Mother was at work and we were alone during summer vacation.  We realized that we only had a limited time to deal with this problem or face the certain anger of a parent who would come home and realize there was no longer a glass in the front door.

We decided to call a glass company to see if they would fix the door for us.  The spokesman at the glass company said the repair would be about twenty dollars.  I told him to come on out.  After getting off the phone, I discussed the amount of money we needed.  We searched our banks and pockets for the money.  After a considerable amount of searching, we decided we had enough.

The glass repairman came out in a couple of hours to make the repair.  It seemed like it only took him about thirty minutes to replace the glass.  I was hoping it would take longer because I was dreading the next part.  After the repairman handed us the bill, we brought out a large fishing tackle box.  We told the service man it would take a little while to pay him.  It took longer to count out twenty dollars in pennies, nickels, and dimes than it took to do the repair.

After the glass was replaced, my and brothers and I cleaned up the broken glass.  It was then that we noticed how clean the new glass was.  It was decided that we should put some fingerprints and a little dirt on the glass to "age" it.  The results were a complete success.  It was several years later before we finally told mother about the glass incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment