Friday, March 6, 2015
The New Radio Station, pt. 4
My youngest brother, Bub, was outgoing and up for new adventures. He was the obvious choice for the door to door contacts. Since we had stacks of magazines from my sister, why not try Bub's sales technique as a bonus?
We decided to announce the radio station and mention the deal on used magazines. After loading my brother's bicycle with magazines, it was time for me to sign on the air at KBOP. I thought that was a catchy call sign. It seemed like I played every record I had before Bub came home.
It was clear that the station was reaching our neighbors and they were amazed to hear "Sonny" on their radio, but the magazine sales were not very good. A few magazines were sold, but not enough to establish a regular route. After the excitement of the whole experience, our interest in the broadcast and magazine sales business diminished. It was the newness of the adventure and its possibilities that were the most fun.
I would continue to broadcast from time to time, but mainly to test a new mic or antenna for its quality. The family was tired of testing and they had heard all the records. It was fun to try something that I had dreamed about. It was also an introduction to reality. Not everyone was as excited about the idea as I was.
It was time to move on to something new. I wondered what it would take to make a whiskey still.
Just think of the possibility of making whiskey with only corn, sugar, and water.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment